Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Practice, practice...

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23rd - 2008

When I was younger, my mom made me take piano lessons.  At first it was fun, but then the novelty wore off.  I remember wishing I could quit, but my mom still made me take the lessons.  I remember getting up very very early on school mornings to practice.  The house would be completely dark, and I'd would get a little creeped out.  I don't know why I had to be the first to practice while others got to sleep in.  Maybe we took turns going first, but in my memory, I always remember being the one that had to get up earliest.  I remember wishing and hoping on piano lesson days that mom would forget.  Most of the times she didn't, but sometimes she did. I certainly wasn't going to remind her.  I would always make it a point to be busy doing something out of her eye line, in hopes that she might forget about me.  I don't really remember how or when I quit piano lessons, but after quite a few years she let me.  I never really appreciated it at the time, but now, I really love to play.  I don't get to play that often, because I don't have a piano of my own.  But sometimes at my mom's I'll get the old books out and play for a little while.  Now I wish I didn't quit.  I want to be better than I am.
James asked me to play the piano for his baptism on Saturday.  I have to play and opening and closing song, and a special musical number.  I am incredibly nervous.  I wish I could remember more of what I learned during those lessons.  I practiced a lot today.  It wasn't enough.  I'll be practicing every day until the baptism.  But, unlike when I was younger, I am really enjoying the practicing this time.  I wish I was better.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

You are awesome! And you did awesome. I hated taking piano, but I'm glad I know how to play now.

drjlambson said...

You did great! We really do appreciate it.