Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Zoo Day

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 14th - 2008

Today was the last day of fall break for Joe, so I took him and Dallin to the zoo.  Alex and Michael had to go back today, so sadly they had to miss out this time.

We always spend a long time at the groundhogs.  I think the boys like them so much because they are so close and they always put on a really good show.

Dallin and Joe doing their best groundhog impersonations:

The bobcat was out today.  I love all of the big cats:  Especially the bobcat, tiger and jaguar.  The Jaguar also put on a really good show, he came right up to the fence where we were at and paced for a long time.  I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the zoo.  I love to see all of the animals so up close, but then I feel so bad about the tiny cages they are in.  I just want them to be able to roam free.  It makes me especially sad when I see the birds.  They should be free to fly.  

I love the giraffes.  I think they are awesome looking animals.  

It was pretty warm and I am a sucker, so the boys talked me into buying them snow cones.

Joe's favorite animal is the Otter.  The Otter's were awesome today too.  There were 2 of them that were awake.  They swam in the water, played with a ball and basically ran around and kept us entertained.

Here are two of the wildest, scariest animals I saw today:

Every time we come, we have to take a picture with the frog statue.

It was a fun way to spend our last day of fall break.  Back to school tomorrow.

After the zoo we stopped by to visit Grandmother for a while.  Joe and Dallin entertained her by putting on skits for her.  Then, she brought out her paintings that she and Rebecca have been working on.  That led to a conversation about Bob Ross, and it just so happened that his show happened to be on right then, so we all watched "The Joy of Painting" with Bob Ross.  The boys loved it.  To quote Joe: "He is freakin' awesome".  Here is Bob painting some "happy trees".

Then we went out back to check out Grandmother's plants.  She gave Joe a plant to take home and take care of.  I hope we don't kill it.  We aren't great with plants.

What a fun day!

4 comments:

prism said...

Bob Ross *is* freakin' awesome (or was, anyway, when alive). And, sickeningly, he made it look soooo easy.

I'm glad they liked it. I should show Oran the afro - he's starting to look like that himeslf - take away the beard and add glasses - and make the hair blonde. :-)

LauraB said...

Hey, groundhog, mole, gopher - they're all about the same. Could I charge a "zoo" fee and have Joe and Dallin sit in my yard and watch the gophers? And, maybe, give them air pistols to shoot the little buggers when they pop their heads up?? Just a thought.

Teresa said...

I have a hard time getting Stuart to go to the zoo because he feels the same way about the caged animals.

Sheri said...

my kids love the groundhogs too :)

Ian and I totally dig Bob. He's awesome!