Sunday, October 19, 2008

This is why I came - Cabin day 3

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 11th - 2008

So this is the biggest reason I wanted to take this trip to the cabin:

I wanted to see the aspen trees changing to their fall colors.  So today we drove up to Greens Peak (about a 20 min. drive from the cabin).  The drive is very scenic, we passed tons of aspens on the way.  They did not disappoint.  My dad thought I was crazy when I wanted to stop the car and get out to take some close up shots.  I took tons.  This was one of my favorites:

Before we actually left for Greens Peak, we had a hard time leaving the cabin.  Paul was in the truck with the boys and had no problems getting out.  My mom, dad and I were in my mom's Lexus.  We TRIED to leave and immediately got stuck in the mud.  It had rained off and on all morning.  My dad kept trying to get us out, but the car would only go in reverse.  This is how far he went in reverse before Paul came back to rescue us:

Paul braved the rain to tow us out using the Bobcat.

We finally made it to the top of Greens Peak.  One of the boys favorite things to do is to climb the watchtower.  Sadly, it wasn't open today.  The wind was blowing fiercely at the top of the mountain.  This is 3:00 in the afternoon.  It is 45 degrees outside, but with the windchill it felt much much colder.  Alex was too funny.  He got out of the truck and then got right back in it.  He doesn't handle cold well.  Joe thought he could tough it out in his shorts and t-shirt.  Luckily I had his sweatshirt handy.  Here he is struggling to get it on:

Joe is like me.  He loves the cold.  He also loved the view from the top of the mountain.

The wind was blowing so hard that you could lean all your body weight back into it and it would hold you up.  At first I thought Paul and Joe were exaggerating, but then I tried it for myself.  I leaned back into it and sure enough, it held me up.

The gorgeous view from the top:

It was a great day.  After leaving Greens Peak we headed to El Rancho for a late lunch and then headed for home.  We got home around 8:00 tonight.

3 comments:

prism said...

Wow! Great photos. I love the trees, too. If you ever want to get blown away by breathtaking trees, go up to Vail, CO. It's just at the treeline - woah!. But, go in the summer - it's in the 70's up there in August, so imagine the winter.

Teresa said...

How fun. I am so jealous. I really want to see the seasons change. I just don't want to do the car ride right now with Jack.

Sheri said...

I love the look on Paul's face. Like "oh brother..."