Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday Funnies

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 21st - 2008


When I  was younger, one of my favorite things about Sunday was the Sunday edition of the comics in the newspaper.  They were always longer and in color.  I remember that Darrel liked them too.  It was always a race to see who could get them first.  My favorite, of course, was Calvin and Hobbes.

Today I was sick in bed most of the day.  Joe pulled out the Calvin & Hobbes book and read me some funnies to help me feel better.  What can I say?  He's a sweetie.  I thought it was interesting that this is one of the ones he chose to read me:

I think he can relate.  Joe is a lot like Spaceman Spiff.  He could be there in the room, physically, looking at you, but he's not really there.  He's making up some game or adventure, or doing some magic trick in his mind.  Joe has always reminded me of Calvin.  When you are an only child, you have to have an active imagination to keep yourself busy.  That is one of the things I love most about Joe- his active imagination.  Though it gets him in trouble sometimes (Easily Distracted), I wouldn't trade it for anything.  


4 comments:

Karen Lambson said...

Joe makes a cute Calvin. Does that mean you are Hobbs?

Teresa said...

I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes. They are the best. I almost did a Calvin and Hobbes theme in Jack's nursery.

Isn't it great when your kids enjoy some of the same things you loved when you were younger?

Sheri said...

Joe does remind me of little of Calvin.

Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side are the best comics EVER. Ian has almost every Calvin & Hobbes book.

LauraB said...

Calvin & Hobbes were big in our house, too. Look carefully - I think Patrick was the model for Calvin! He's still a big fan to this day.