Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why you shouldn't grocery shop when you are hungry...

Wednesday, July 23rd - 2008

This is why you shouldn't grocery shop when you are hungry....


So, Joe and I went grocery shopping today.  As usual, I was very prepared.  I had my list of exactly everything I needed.  Why do I always buy more when Joe shops with me?  Also, why do I shop when I am hungry?  Well, today it was kind of a necessity.  It got to be lunch time and the cupboards were bare, so I pretty much had to go shopping.  So, we are in the cereal aisle...It is ridiculous how many different cereals and choices there are.  I go through cereal phases.  I will like it A LOT for a while and eat it every day, and then I get sick of it and don't want to eat it for a month.  Usually, I go for the semi-healthy stuff.  Honey bunches of Oats, or something like that.  I also like grapenuts and wheat chex (those come from living with my dad).  So, I was going for the usual, when the Apple Jacks caught my eye.  

When we were younger, we were only allowed "sugar" cereal on Sunday's.  Weekday cereal contained wheat or bran, or something equally brown in color.  But on the weekends it was the good stuff.  However, with 5 kids, we were not each allowed to pick out our own box.  We all had to agree on what we got.  Sometimes we took turns picking, and sometimes we voted.  I was always outvoted.  My favorite was Apple Jacks.  For some reason we almost always ended up with Lucky Charms.  I was bitter about that for a long time.  When I saw the Apple Jacks in the cereal aisle today, I had a flashback to my childhood.  I wanted that box.  Look at it.  It's so bright and fun.  There was no one there to out vote me, or tell me I couldn't have it.   It didn't help that I was hungry.   Oh well.  We ended up leaving the store with much more than was on my list.  

4 comments:

LauraB said...

OK - I wasn't hungry until I read this!

Teresa said...

Great story! I am the same way, cannot shop hungry or I end up with junk.

Sheri said...

Apple Jacks - Uggg...

Lucky Charms - now you're talkin'!

Brian said...

Now I know who whined and got their way with the Lucky Charms growing up! Kidding Sheri!