Thursday, July 17, 2008

Reading on the bed

Wednesday, July 9th - 2008


One of my favorite things to do with Joe is read stories on the bed.  This ritual started when he was like 2 or 3.  He couldn't read yet, but he liked to hear stories, so he would grab a bunch of his story books and grab my hand so we could read stories on my bed.  He'd climb up and get cozy, and we'd spend a lot of time just reading together.  At first it was Winnie the Pooh and the Sheep Made a Leap.  He went through a Dr. Seuss phase.  The Foot Book was one of his favorites.  He could say the whole book along with me.  As he got a little older and started to read for himself, we would take turns reading lines from the Magic Treehouse books and Junie B. Jones (my personal favorite).  Now, the ritual still continues, although he is reading his own book, and I am reading mine.  We still get cozy on my bed and read together.  He is usually reading a book that I have already read and we'll talk about what he read for the day, what he liked, and what he thinks is going to happen.  I love to read so much, and I am glad that Joe has a love for reading too.  I'm glad that it is still something we can share together.  

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I wish my boys loved to read. I love that about Joe too.

Teresa said...

So sweet. It's just great that you helped foster that love of reading in him.

LauraB said...

Way to go, Kim. Reading is one of the very best things you can teach a child to love!