Friday, May 30, 2008

Quilted Memories

Tuesday, May 27th - 2008

A couple of weeks ago Stacy mentioned to me that she would like to make a quilt for Adam for graduation. My Grandma Betty started the tradition of making a quilt out of material from clothes that we once wore. I got mine when I was 11 or 12, and I still have it over 20 years later. It is frayed in several places and worn thin, but it is still one of my favorite blankets. I use it all of the time. Stacy and I made one for Paul a few years ago for Christmas. His included favorite shirts worn by his boys over the years. We also had some pictures put on it. So, when she decided to do one for Adam, I said I would help out. I didn't realize we would be making it the actual DAY before graduation. She had already cut out the shirts she wanted to use and laid them out. Stacy, my mom and I literally spent all afternoon and late into the evening (It was after 10 when we finally quit for the night) working on this thing. We made a lot of progress, but it became quite apparent that we were not going to finish it on time. Oh well! He will get it eventually.
My favorite part of the day was when Adam noticed a piece of his favorite brown t-shirt on Grandma's table. He said he had been wondering what happened to that shirt. He was mad that his mom cut it up. Why would she do that? He didn't know what we were up to. The quilt was supposed to be a surprise. My mom tried to cover by telling him to not be too mad, that we were making quilts for the homeless, and that his shirt was being put to good use. I had a hard time keeping a straight face while she told him such an obvious lie.
I had fun spending the day (and half the night) with Stacy and my mom. I think I got a little too bossy about the whole thing, but they put up with me. Thanks to Jared for the D-backs tickets for Brian, Joe and Dallin. It kept the boys out of the way while we worked.

3 comments:

prism said...

Is there no end to your talent?

Sheri said...

I never got one of those quilts.

LauraB said...

Apparently Adam isn't going to, either. This one is going to the homeless - Karen said!!