Tuesday, November 25, 2008

White elephant service

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 20th - 2008

My friend Karen talked me into going to our ward's enrichment activity tonight.  I think in all the time we've been a ward, I've only gone twice (bad, I know) and both times it's because she MADE me go.  I'm a total home-body, but you know what?  Both times I had fun.  

Tonight's activity was a service white elephant game.  I'm sure you all know how to play white elephant.  Except, instead of a small gift to open, people have written a service they are willing to provide.  I liked this idea.  Nobody is going home with a plastic cup with a glove in it, or an autographed picture of Patrick - 2 presents that seem to show up EVERY year at our family Christmas white elephant.  I have to say, I secretly love the idea of that autographed picture though.  

So, because Karen said she would write down my service for me and put some candy with it, and wrap it for me, I said I would go.  It was pretty fun, although I would have liked to see some more fighting going on.  These ladies were very polite.  The service I ended up with actually had 3 different choices on it.  I think I'm going to pick the chocolate covered strawberries.  Yum!

5 comments:

Teresa said...

What a great idea. I love that. We are trying so hard to help the kids understand that Christmas isn't about getting stuff (that, and money is tight this year.) But, this sounds like such a fun way to reinforce that.

Merilee said...

I love that idea. They always do that in my mom's ward too. I think I may suggest it up here next year.

Sheri said...

I love that idea. We should do that with the kids.

LauraB said...

We did that one year in our ward. It was so successful I forgot what service I was supposed to claim and forgot what service I was supposed to give because the person never claimed it! Shameful, I know.

AZ Hey-mon said...

I am so glad you came! At least we stole ours away. What is up with all the niceness anyhow?