Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Vacuum Help

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 9th - 2008

My vacuum sucks, and not in the way it should.  I need help.  I am currently looking for a new vacuum.  The problem is, how do you know what's worth your money, and what's not?  Take this vacuum for instance: 
It worked great when I first got it.  But it sure didn't last very long.  I don't mind spending money on something as long as I know it's going to work and last a while.  I hate spending the money and then realizing you bought  a piece of junk.  The problem is, you don't know you're getting junk until after you already buy it.  So, I'm asking all of you out there, what is a good vacuum that works, and will last a long time?  Or, tell me which vacuums are junk, so I don't buy them.  Help me!

6 comments:

prism said...

I love my Dyson. Yeah, it's "extra" money, but is it really?? if you don't have to keep buying them?

pros: no bags! it really SUCKS (the way they're supposed to), all the filters are washable, you can take most of the pieces off to remove something if it gets stuck (er.. like that pencil I found in there), the hose can reach all the way up the stairs without me having to move the vacuum, but most importantly, it WORKS and it "doesn't lose suction" as they say.

cons: mine is a bit bulky - I'd maybe go with the new "ball" one if you can spring for it (research first!)

Just be careful - I've accidentally sucked up a necktie, previously mentioned pencil (about a half of one), quite a bit of a roll of toilet paper, and some Lego pieces.

The challenge is supposed to be that you use your vacuum, and then go back over with the Dyson and see all the fine dust particles it picks up... (it really does!) Is this an infomercial??? [did I mention I love my Dyson?]

Sheri said...

We love our Kirby. We've had it for 10 years and it still sucks!

Karen Lambson said...

Sheri,

Aren't you using an Oreck right now?

AZ Hey-mon said...

The best advice I have is try whatever Costco is selling. If it doesn't work they will take it back. No questions asked. IDK what they have there now but they usually have a few to choose from.

prism said...

Dyson, Oreck, Rainbow, Kirby and Miele are all supposed to be really good vacuums.

Shauna said...

I have a Dyson and I LOVE IT!! I research everything to death and when I was looking for a vacuum it took me months and months and months of research before I made the commitment to buy a Dyson. I got mine 20% off with a Linen N Things coupon. Costco also sells Dyson. It's a lot of money but I think it is definitely worth it. I've had mine for 6 or so years and never had a problem. (It's just really scary to see how dirty my house is when I empty the dirt tube thingy.) I highly recommend Dyson. You can borrow mine if you want to "test drive" it.