Monday, February 16, 2009

valentines box

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 12th - 2009

This year Joe's class had a contest for best decorated valentine boxes.  He had one last year too, but we are talking about THIS year people.  He really wanted to win.  He mentioned it to me early on in the week and I totally spaced it.  So, today after school he mentioned it again.  Oh, NO!  It would have been fine, except Brian had gotten free passes to the IMAX to see some underwater 3-D movie with Joe, and they wouldn't be home until 8:30.  

Yeah, this meant that we didn't even start on it until almost 9:00.  While he was gone I was frantically going through all of my craft supplies to see what valentines stuff I had.  Thankfully I had A LOT - paints, ribbon, paper and all kind of cute add on's.  The one thing I didn't have was a box, so while he was at the movie, I ran to Michael's and picked up a box.  I got all the supplies out and laid them out on the table so he could pick and choose what he wanted to do.   He likes to have complete creative control.   I was trying to hurry the process along as much as I could because I know how SLOW Joe is.  

Actually it was all I could do to keep myself from just doing the dang thing for him.

So around 9:00 we sat down and made a plan.  He looked through all of the options, he picked out all the colors, paper and add on's that he wanted and then FINALLY he started painting.

I had to stop him around 11:oo and make him go to bed.  Most of what was left was gluing things on, so I told him I would finish.

I think it turned out pretty good.  

Here's the front:
Here's the back:
Here's a side view:

He was happy with how it turned out, and guess what - He won for best valentine spirit.

A lot of the kids said it was "too good" and that he didn't do it.  His reply was "How hard is it to paint and glue, people?"  

The box is now sitting in his room  - filled with all of his valentines and candy.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

That is a cool box. You could make and sell those...very creative! Congrats Joe!

Sheri said...

That is awesome. Great job, Joe!