Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Where can I get a sled?

FRIDAY, JANUARY 2nd - 2009

The Gonzo's left this morning, so it was just Alex, Joe, Brian and I.  The last time Alex was up here with his family, they went sledding, and had a blast.  The boys decided that they wanted to go sledding this time too.  So, we went into town to try to find some sleds or tubes.  We checked 4 different places and could not find anything.  You have got to be kidding me that there is all of this snow on the ground and we can't figure out where to get a sled.  The guy in Big 5 sporting goods who lives here didn't even have a clue as to where we might find a sled.

After 2 hours we gave up.  The plan was to drive up to the old ski run and sled for a while, but the boys decided that they would be happy with just playing in the snow.  So, we drove up to the old ski run anyway.  By this time, it is 2:00 in the afternoon and it is completely packed.  The parking lot is full.  We left, a little discouraged, and just stopped by the side of the road and played in the snow a while.

We were near Sunrise Ski Resort.  The mountain was calling to me:
It has been SO long since I have been skiing, it's sad.  Brian, Joe and I decided that we need to come up and try snowboarding.

Anyway, here are some shots of the boys playing in the snow.  Doesn't Xander look like Sheri in this picture?
The snow was pretty deep.  The boys loved to just run and fall over into it.  I love the action shots:

The snow here actually was deep enough to go up to Joe's bum, but it was packed in pretty tight and they could (for the most part) walk on it without sinking in.  Joe is actually on his knees here, but he thought the picture looked cool.

We didn't stay for a super long time, but I think the boys had fun.
Oh yeah, while we were there, another car stopped by, and he had tubes for sledding.  We asked him where he found some, and he said he got them in Gilbert before he came up.  Brian and I are thinking of starting a sled and tube rental business.  I think it would do great up here, and we would never have to leave the cabin.  What do you think?  Seriously though, if anyone knows where to buy sleds or tubes, please let me know.  We want to go up to play in the snow again soon.

After playing in the snow, we stopped at Walmart for groceries.  We didn't want to have to leave the cabin to come into town again during our stay.  Let me just say that the Walmart experience was NOT good.  When you pull into the parking lot practically EVERY space is full.  When you walk inside, it is wall to wall bodies.  It was completely insane, we couldn't get out of there fast enough.  It was a relief to get back to the cabin and just spend the evening relaxing.  

4 comments:

drjlambson said...

Sunrise rents tubes for $8.00 a person at their store

Sheri said...

I hate that Walmart too. And most Walmarts for that matter.

Xander does look like me - that makes me happy.

I'll Tiff where she got her sled. We just used old and broken ones people had left. Sad, I know.

Kim said...

Hey, Dr. J. Where is the Sunrise store?

drjlambson said...

At the ski run main lodge