Thursday, April 23, 2009

I miss...

TUESDAY, APRIL 21st - 2009

Today I miss Shadow following me every time I go into the bedroom, jumping on the bed and wanting to be pet.

Today I miss Shadow curling up on my favorite quilt that my grandmother made for me, finding a knot where the quilt was tied, and sucking on it like a binky.  Tiger sucks his thumb (not kidding) but Shadow always preferred the yarn on the quilt.

Today I miss Shadow putting his two front paws on my leg and stretching the one paw out further, trying to get my attention.  For some reason he liked to do this right when I would go into the kitchen to do dishes.  Almost every time, it was really weird.  

Today I miss Shadow running into the kitchen every time I got a drink of water.  He would hear the water and come running, knowing that if he came, I would get him some too.  

Today I miss seeing Shadow's paw reaching under the bathroom door.  He didn't like it that I was somewhere that he couldn't be.  

Today I miss seeing Shadow sitting in the window watching birdies and the other neighborhood cats.

Today I miss Shadow trying to sneak past me and run into the computer room the second I opened the door.  He had to be fast because he knew he wasn't allowed in there.  He also knew that I am a sucker and would let him stay if he could manage to get past me.  He had a favorite cubby hole in the china cabinet that he loved to sleep in.

Today I miss Shadow chasing the little bug that was flying around the house.  He would absolutely have loved that.

Tonight I miss the Tiger and Shadow crazy hour.  Cats truly are nocturnal.  Every night around 11:00, Tiger and Shadow run through the house like crazy, chasing each other and jumping around and playing.  Joe and Brian usually missed the show because they were sleeping.  I caught it almost every night.  The best was when Tiger would try to sneak up on Shadow.  Tiger is ginormous.  He never fooled Shadow.  Even though Tiger was bigger, Shadow would always outsmart him.  

The very worst part about today was watching Tiger walk around the house looking for Shadow.  He checked all of his favorite spots - the corner by the door, by the sliding door in the kitchen, the cubby hole in the computer room, the rocking chair in Joe's room.  It's really sad.  I can't explain to him what happened, and he is looking for his brother. 

 Joe has spent a lot of time with Tiger today, giving him lots of love.  I don't know if it's working though.  I think he misses his brother.  We all do.

I wanted to say thanks to all of you who have called, e-mailed or stopped by and expressed your concern.  We really appreciate it.  Yes, we realize that to some people, loosing a cat might not seem like a big deal, but it was to us.  He was part of the family.  A special thanks to Darrel, Trina, Addy and Rowan for bringing us some treats.  We really appreciate it.
Seeing Addy and Ro was truly the highlight of my day.  They are like little rays of sunshine and they really cheered me up.  Thanks.

9 comments:

prism said...

Sorry about the cat. I know it is hard. :-(

Becca said...

Kim, that's awful! Just think Shadow had a wonderful, peaceful and loving life - that you provided. He is grateful. Keep an eye on Tiger.

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

I'm so sorry Kim. I know how much pets become members of your family. You know, Spider used to do the same thing when I was in the bathroom; I always saw his little paw under the door trying to play with me. This post makes me miss him. I hope he is happy with his new family.

LauraB said...

Poor Tiger - he's probably going to be depressed for a while. Give him lots of extra attention.

Chris C said...

Kim, so sorry to hear about your loss. Our pets certainly are part of our family, even though some people don't believe it.
I think it would be a good day to listen to the Disintegration album. It actually makes me feel a little better, even though it's such a dark, depressing album.

Sheri said...

My friend Jill lost her dog unexpectedly to cancer last year. She was depressed for weeks -because it was so sudden and because like you said animals become like members of our family.

Poor Tiger :(

Becca said...

Shadow. A good name for a Ninja. Or a panther. Since cats (like dogs) go to heaven, you can bet Shadow is happy in his true 'Ninja Panther' form. If life is that good for cats, just think how good cat heaven must be.

Mind blowing, isn't it.

Becca said...

(that last one was from Tim)

-Tim

W.V. - catsanis (interesting)