Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Too cool for mom

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 28th - 2009

This afternoon I took Joe and Alex to a movie.  They had hopes that it would be a theater full of girls and that they would find someone to sit by.  The problem is, we got there late and the lights were already low, the theater was full and the movie was starting.  So, there was no chance to find some girls to sit by.  We took the first seats we could find.  Afterwards, they were the first ones out the door so they could watch all of the girls leave.  Here is where we ran into our second problem.  There were plenty of girls, they just happened to be the wrong ages.  They were either teenagers, or they were like 6 and 7 year olds.  There weren't any tweeners.    

The boys were a little disappointed, but I told them we could stay a while and they could walk around the mall and try their luck.  The problem is, it's not cool to walk around the mall with your mom.  So, I sat at a table and let them go.  I always had them in my sights, but this way, they weren't actually seen with me.  

Hanging out, watching girls:
On their own:
I wasn't allowed to get too close, so this picture is from far away.  I think next time we'll skip the movie and just walk around the mall instead.  It's cheaper that way.

I'm surprised at the sheer number of kids running around the mall without any parent's in sight.  It was crazy.  A lot of them were Joe and Alex's age.  Where was the adult supervision?  What is an appropriate age to just drop your kid off and let them go?  There's No way I would do that with Joe.  Am I just too overprotective?  

3 comments:

prism said...

You're not overprotective... you're responsible. ;-) Although, I do admit, I let my Hana and friend go down to a store they like while I returned something at a different store. They are 13 & 14 (I think - maybe 15). I figured they could handle it. They were fine.

Teresa said...

I don't think there is a "right" age. It depends on the kid. You just do what you feel is right.

Sheri said...

I agree with Amy. Especially since my kid was with him :). You are an awesome mom & aunt!